This episode set up a lot of stuff. With only 6 episodes, I’m glad we got the ball running early.
I am not going to spoil the whole episode of Game of Thrones Season 8 Episode 1. However, I will say that a few spoils. Please make sure you’ve watched it before you read this.
This entire episode was a shock fest, but I’m going to list a few instances that blew me away the most and caused me the most questions.
- Cersei Lannister drinking wine
- Aren’t you pregnant? That’s what you told me last season, Cersei! I get needing to wine up before getting physical with Euron Greyjoy, but let’s be consistent. Cersei is at least known for loving her children, as weird as the relationship might be. So, why would she willing to chance something happening to her unborn child.
- Unless she said that last season in an effort to gain Tyrion’s sympathy and she’s not really pregnant.
- I think she probably is. It felt a little too ironic when Euron said, ” I’m going to put a prince in your belly”. Cersei smerked like… too late bro!
- Sansa Stark vs, Daenerys Targaryen
- I know I’m not the only one expecting Daenerys and Sansa to exchange words this season! The tension was so thick. And I’m pretty sure Sansa’s feelings about Daenerys are echoed by the citizens of the North. When she and Jon road in on their horses the crowd had a collective stank face side eye for everyone in the parade.
- I don’t know what Daenerys thought was going to happen. You’re not from the North, and you’re not married to the King of the North so…. who are you again? At least that’s what everyone but Jon Snow is feeling right now.
- Also, I can’t forget to mention that she told Jon that Sansa has to respect her… or. If I’m Jon then my next question is … or what?
- Plus, she already killed Sam’s brother and father. Was she trying to threaten the same to Jon’s sister?
- Hinting Marriage
- Tyrion, Davos, and Lord Varys where pretty much trying to figure out how to get the people of the North to accept Daenerys and they suggested marriage. But then, Jon and Daenerys flew off on her dragons. I think that is a hint that they will join in union of marriage. I also think that this image was a foreshadowing of how they will ride into battle verses the Night King.
- Samwell Tarley is blunt with Jon Snow
- When Bran told Sam to tell Jon about his lineage, I thought we were going to have to wait as long as we did for winter to come. Surprising Sam told Jon with 5 minutes left in the episode. I think he didn’t hesitate because he is definitely pissed that Daenerys didn’t have mercy on his father and brother when they didn’t bend the knee.
- He basically approached Jon saying, I know you wouldn’t have done that. You deserve to be King. Of course Jon is still reluctant for that title. But, Sam is over it and just tells him the truth.
- So now the marriage situation is even more awkward. How will Jon tell her? Will she mirror Cersei and kill him for threatening her throne, even though he bent the knee to her already?
Honorable mention to Jamie Lannister on his crusade for redemption. Now he’s got to face Daenerys because he killed her dad. But, he’s only here to help so next week we’ll see if Daenerys is able to contain her rage. She’s been a little wrath-y lately.
Game of Thrones airs Sunday nights at 9 pm on HBO! I’ll be doing the same thing next week. Check back here for more thoughts.